Sunday, October 7, 2007

Banned Books & Bonfires

Massachusetts -- Just as I was talking about Banned Books on Friday night at Elliot's school, a huge bonfire was lit in the field in front of the library. I knew this was going to happen (it was part of Spirit Week). I just didn't know how dramatic it would be. I mean, there I was, standing in front of a floor to ceiling window in the school library, talking about what book banning means -- and right behind me is this perfect reminder of a time and place where books were thrown into a bonfire and burned. I hate to remind anyone that not that many years ago in America a couple of religious zealots actually burned books they had stolen from the library because not only didn't they want their children to read them, they didn't want anyone's children to read them.

For me, it was an emotional end to Banned Books Week -- with students and faculty filling the cozy library, celebrating the freedom to read. Thanks, Alison, for making it happen. And thanks to all of you who came.

Love,
Judy