Monday, September 10, 2007

Sunday in the Park With Laura

Chicago: If you're lucky, every now and then you get to have a perfect day. That's how I feel about yesterday. The weather in Chicago, where we landed the night before, was perfect -- sunny and warm -- and I got to spend the day with Laura and her family. Laura has recorded several of my books , including Margaret. (I'll add a link to her recordings and the story about how we met on the new website). You might know her as the voice reading the Kevin Henke picture books. She's the perfect Lily. I'm a huge fan of Laura's and of Kevin's picture books.

I got to meet Laura's two young kids. We enjoyed Millenium Park together. Here we are with Camille in the "bean," one of the park's attraction. When her husband took the kids home, Laura and I sat down for a "girls' lunch," catching up on two years of everything!

Later Peter Sagal, the host of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, the NPR show (where I came up with the wrong answers to all the questions on the quizz) brought two of his girls to the park for ice cream. Peter gave me a copy of his soon to be published The Book of Vice, and just from peeking at the very beginning I can tell it's going to be very funny. Can't wait for the long plane trip to Seattle to read it through.

Still later, George decided he had to see Death at a Funeral. He can't stand it when something is playing at the Tropic Cinema in Key West (his baby) that he hasn't seen -- especially when it's a huge hit -- and this one has been pulling in the crowd for several weeks. So off we went to catch the 5 o'clock show. Definitely a fun movie!

Did I say that Sunday was a day off? I guess you can tell.
XX Judy